Abandoned Greek Orthodox Church

The village of Livissi entered the 20th century with a population of 2000, almost all of them Greek Orthodox Christians. However, the events leading to the wholesale population exchange of ethnic Greeks and Turks between the two countries’ mainlands completely emptied the village by 1922. Now known as Kayaköy (“Rock Village” in Turkish), it is a vacant ghost town attracting occasional tourists near Turkey’s Mediterranean coast.

This picture was taken inside the sanctuary of the “Lower Church,” one of two cathedrals built in the village in the late 1800s.

Comments are Disabled